St. Stephens Foundation (EIN: 86-0928860) was a shell corporation of St. Anthony’s Greek Orthodox Monastery in Florence, AZ and listed as an independent auxillary. The monastery registered it as a “Roman Catholic” organization. It’s revocation date was in 2014. During the time of it’s existence, it had one of the highest incomes for a nonprofit in Arizona. Their 990 Form lists contributions received as “$1,600,300” and expenses were listed as “$1,629,116”.
According to Corporation Records, “Abbot Paisios” (no last name) is the Principal for St Stephens Foundation. The monks use to laugh whenever Abbot Paisios signed official documents as “Abbot Paisios” because they thought he was pulling one over on the system. However, rumor was at the time that Georgios legally changed his name to “Abbot Paisios” (though some monks said it was legally changed to “Father Paisios” or “Archimandrite Paisios”). Similarly, Hieromonk Chrysostomos would also use “Father Chrysostomos” on official records, such as his “Orthodox Ecclesia Press Inc.” which eventually had its exempt status revoked by the IRS for failure to file a Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-N, or 990-PF for 3 consecutive years.
According to their 990 Form, St. Stephens Foundation is in the care of Dr. Constantine Moschonas, MD from Scottsdale, AZ. The address for the St Stephens Foundation is a house on Sycamore St. owned by the Koulouris Family. The phone # is listed as 520-836-9322 (This happens to be the number for Alan Crockett, which is a financial advisory firm for tax return preparation: 1266 E. Florence Blvd., Ste. 6, Casa Grande, AZ)
St Stephens Foundation is a tax-exempt charitable organization. Contributions are deductible. St Stephens reported $300 in assets as of year-end, placing it as one slightly smaller than the average organization. However, the reported income for St. Stephens Foundation was $1.63 million, which makes it one of the highest income nonprofits.
Records of the directors show the following:
- Dr. Constantine Moschonas, MD, from Scottsdale, AZ is listed as President. (His wife Aristi Despina Moschonas is the principal for another corporation/secret monastery under Elder Ephraim, Orthodox Christian Sisterhood of the Holy Unmercenaries in Tucson, AZ)
- George Giannaris, from Regina, SK (Canada) is listed as Secretary.
- Pete Koulouris of Florence, AZ is listed as Treasurer. Pete replaced George Koulouris as Treasurer in 2012. George Koulouris replaced Fr. Ilarion (St. Anthony’s accountant, originally George Skyriotis from Bethlehem, PA) in 2006. [Pete Kouloris also owns Mount Athos Restaurant & Cafe in Florence, AZ:
On January 16th, 1999, the following individuals were elected to office as Additional Members of the Board of Directors:
- John Mitchell of West Virginia
- Theophanis Tsolitsos of Astoria, NY
- Maria Tsolitsos of Astoria, NY
- George Giannaris of Regina, SK (Canada)
- George Koulouris of Whitestone, NY
- Efstratios Madina of Mesa, AZ
- Alex Trigonis of Santa Barbara, CA (Brother of Rassaphore Monk, Arsenios Trigonis who is the dentist at St. Anthony’s Greek Orthodox Monastery)
The May 1st Foundation in Brookfield, WI, is a payee of the St Stephens Foundation.
In 2001, the following individuals were elected to office:
- Dr. Constantine Moschonas, MD of Scottsdale, AZ
- Bernie Dvorak of Gilbert, AZ
May 1st Foundation (Payee of St Stephens Foundation)